Hosting a Conference
The proposals should be brief, and generally no more than 2 to 3 pages. The following information should be included in proposals to host an EPICOH conference:
- Name and affiliation of proposed conference chair(s). Include information on previous experience organizing scientific conferences.
- Support committed or expected by the local employing institution and/or by the regional or national epidemiological organization(s).
- Proposed location and conference site, including type of facilities; types and range of accommodations with estimated nightly costs for rooms and dormitories or other low cost housing (if available).
- Description of the local conference organizing committee and scientific program committee. Describe plans for ensuring multi-regional, international input to and participation in the scientific program and for engaging early career researchers.
- Proposed conference dates with at least one alternative for dates. Indication if there is are any conflicts with other occupational, environmental or epidemiologic meetings.
- Describe organizational structure and staff for conference logistics management. (Specify whether a conference organizing company, university conference service, or staff will be hired for this purpose.)
- Initial ideas about overall conference theme and specific conference topics, recognizing that most of the scientific program will be determined by the submitted abstracts.
- Initial ideas on how to engage the Early Career Research Network of EPICOH in the organization and during the conference.
- Provisional budget including at least the following:
Registration fee and estimated number of paying participants (members, non-members, early/late registrations, student fees, exhibitors, etc.)
Expected sponsorship from local, national and international sources. Note if the industry sponsorship is being contemplated, this must be discussed and agreed with the EPICOH management before any formal agreement is reached. Note that sponsorship from the tobacco and asbestos industries, as per ICOH rules, is not permitted. Note also that conference delegates will need to be made fully aware of any industry sponsorship. Sponsors should not be involved in determining the conference programme.
Conference facilities and equipment
Meals, coffee breaks, conference dinner, etc. (if included in registration fee)
Travel grants to participants in financial need
Invited speakers and other complimentary registrations
Announcements, final program, list of participants, web site, etc.
Telephone, fax, courier, electronic communication
Credit card payments and bank fees
Personnel for preparing and running the conference (either from own institution or through an outside professional conference organizing company)
Electronically searchable online and downloadable program and abstract book
Insurance fees, if applicable
- Ideas with respect to having a joint meeting with other professional (local) societies and ICOH Scientific Committees.
- Proposed organizational time lines (i.e., countdown per major activity to the proposed conference date)
- List of the countries (or nationalities) which are required to ask for a Visitor-visa or a Visa-Waiver by the local government to visit the country of the hosting venue.